WELCOME TO TRI-COUNTY NORTH
Home of the Panthers!
"Preparing for Tomorrow by Expecting Excellence Today"
To All TCN Community Members:
The Tri-County North Local School District has a 1% Earned Income tax levy on the ballot at the election to be held on May 6, 2014. This levy will be for a five year period of time and is projected to raise $961,459 per year. Tri-County North is currently the only school in Preble County without any type of school income tax.
Note: Other school districts in Preble County who have school income taxes are - Eaton 1.5%, National Trail - 1.75%, Preble Shawnee - 1.75% and Twin Valley South - 1.5%. If TCN were to run this levy as a property tax, the equivalent property tax millage would be 8.03 in order to generate the $961,459 based on the 2012 valuation.
If the levy does not pass, Tri-County North will be reducing expenditures in the amount of approximately $941,000. Below is the list of programs and positions that would be eliminated to save this $941,000. These cuts would be effective July 1, 2014.
* 9-12 bus routes and all transportation for grades K-8 within a two mile radius of TCN
* All athletics, including but not limited to, football, volleyball, cross country, soccer, golf, basketball, wrestling, bowling, baseball, softball and track
* All co-curricular activities, including but not limited to, chorus, drama, science club, language club, yearbook, newspaper and band (marching, competition, concert & pep)
* All advisors and clubs, including but not limited to, senior class, junior class, sophomore class, freshman class, student council, National Honor Society, quiz teams, cheerleading, MS VIP, science fair, MUSE machine and SADD
* All field trips
* Cut the Athletic Director, Transportation/Buildings & Grounds Supervisor, and a Guidance Counselor positions and cut the Bus Mechanic position to half-time
* Cut Latchkey program
* Freeze textbook purchasing
* Reduce purchase of instructional supplies and supplemental teaching supplies
* Other savings due to not replacing employees who are retiring this year (staff reorganization)
* All TCN Buildings & Grounds will be closed at 4:00 p.m. each day and no events will be held on Saturdays or Sundays
Total estimated cost savings: $940,934
We will be providing much more information about the levy in the days and weeks to come.
What IS an Earned Income Tax?
"Earned Income" is defined as wages, salaries, tips, other employee compensation, and self-employment income from sole proprietorships and partnerships. Under this alternative tax base, each taxpayer in the earned income only tax base does not pay school district income tax on any other types of income such as retirement income, unemployment compensation, worker's compensation, lottery winnings, interest, dividends, capital gains, profit from rental activities, distributive shares of profit from S corporations, alimony received, distributions from trusts and estates and all other types of income that are not earned income but that are part of Ohio adjusted gross income.
Taxpayers in earned income only tax base school districts cannot claim any deductions such as the alimony paid deduction or the capital loss deduction. In addition to these limitations, taxpayers in the earned income only tax base school districts are not allowed a deduction for personal or dependency exemptions. Taxpayers residing in earned income only tax base school districts must file Ohio form SD 100 (school tax form) even if none of their income is subject to the tax. Taxpayers pay school tax to the district in which they RESIDE.
ALL completed enrollment packets should be faxed to Noelle Murray at 937-962-4731 or mailed to: 436 N. Commerce Street, Lewisburg, OH 45338. Noelle is the initial point of contact for all enrollments. Enrollment packets will then be filtered to the correct building. Should you have any questions, please contact Noelle at 937-962-2671. Thank you!
*CASEWORKERS ENROLLING FOSTER CHILDREN WILL NEED TO PROVIDE A CUSTODY ORDER, A TUITION PAY ORDER AND A PLACEMENT LETTER IN ADDITION TO THE ENROLLMENT PACKET.
April 1st - July 1st each year
Applications accepted in the District Office during those dates
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.